The fireman was taken to the hospital as a precaution
A firefighter is recovering and residents are left homeless after a blaze in north Tulsa.
The fire broke out early Friday at an apartment building near north Birmingham Place and Independence Street.
Tulsa Fire Department District 4 Chief Bennie Herring said a mattress caught fire in an upstairs unit. A resident admitted that a cigarette got away from them while in bed smoking. The flames quickly spread and got into the unit's floorboards and walls.
Some tenants of the fire crawled to the roof and balconies to escape the smoke. They were brought down without injury.
A fireman climbing an aluminum ladder slipped and fell about 12 feet to the ground. He was up and walking around, but was taken by EMSA to an area hospital to be checked out for a shoulder injury.
District chief Herring said all of the building's residents will have to find someplace else to stay. It's construction made the fire fight difficult for crews. Additions and voids made it easier for the flames to spread.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>
Several Locust Grove High School students have joined together Friday morning to protest the firing of the coaches. All four were reportedly let go earlier this week but administrators have not released a reason.More >>
Several Locust Grove High School students have joined together Friday morning to protest the firing of the coaches. All four were reportedly let go earlier this week but administrators have not released a reason. More >>