An Oklahoma mother is behind bars after police said she burned sixty-percent of her five-year-old daughter's body by trying to get rid of her lice using gasoline.
The incident happened at a home in Haileyville on January 29th, but the charges were filed just last Wednesday.
According to a court affidavit filed in Pittsburg County, police were called to the McAlester Regional Hospital on a report of a child getting burned and began their investigation.
Police said 25-year-old Shana Suggs used gasoline to treat her 5-year-old daughter's lice, which caught fire, burning both the child and Suggs.
Haileyville Chief of Police David Johnston said they aren't sure if it was a cigarette or water heater that caught them on fire, but at this point, they believe vapors from the water heater may have ignited the spark.
Court records state Suggs' live-in boyfriend heard her scream while he was playing video games in another room and found both of them on fire.
He grabbed the girl and rolled her on the floor, but the flames didn't go out, so he wrapped her in a jacket until the flames went out, the affidavit stated.
The child was taken from McAlester Regional to a Tulsa burn hospital, then to the Shriner's Hospital in Texas. It is unclear where she and her three siblings are currently residing.
Suggs is jailed in Pittsburg County on a child abuse by injury charge. She has a $25,000 bond.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>