West Nile virus is spread through the bite of an infected mosquito, which feeds on infected birds and then transmits the virus when biting humans, horses, and some other mammals, according to a fact sheet. Symptoms of WNV include sudden onset of fever, headache, dizziness, and muscle weakness.
In addition to the above symptoms those affected by WNV can also experience long-lasting complications which can include difficulty concentrating, migraine headaches, extreme muscle weakness and tremors and paralysis of a limb.
Helpful Precautions to Take Against Mosquito Bites
· Use an insect repellent containing DEET on exposed skin and clothing when you go outdoors, particularly if you are outside between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are more likely to bite. (Insect repellent with permethrin should be used on clothing only.)
· Repair or install window and door screens to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
· Prevent items such as buckets, cans, pool covers, flower pots, and tires from holding standing water so mosquitoes don't have a place to breed.
· Empty your pet's outdoor water bowl and refill daily.
· Clean leaves and debris from rain gutters regularly to ensure they are not clogged.
Officers with the Tulsa Police Department were called to the area near 23rd and Garnett after receiving reports of an armed robbery. At the scene they found that the business robbed was a taco food truck just before midnight. More >>
Officers with the Tulsa Police Department were called to the area near 23rd and Garnett after receiving reports of an armed robbery. At the scene they found that the business robbed was a taco food truck just before midnight.
Evangelist Franklin Graham prayed on a sidewalk outside the Pentagon Thursday after his invitation to a prayer service inside was withdrawn because of comments that insulted people of other religions. More>>